Thursday, March 16, 2017

Homemade Cake Brownies

If you know me, you probably know I love chocolate.  In fact, so does my husband and son.  Which works out well.  So...when I make dessert, it's going to be chocolate 99% of the time.  A couple of weeks ago some friends had us over for dinner and I was supposed to bring the dessert.  I thought a simple brownie would be nice, but I didn't have any mixes in my pantry.   So I decided to try my hand at making homemade brownies.  It may sound silly...but the boxed mixes are only about $1 and so easy that I just had never thought to do it from scratch before.  Anyway...it turns out I've made them three times since and I have tweaked them a bit and now they are absolutely perfection. (In my book at least!)  I could have easily posted this on my food blog, that I have somewhat been updating lately...but I thought you may enjoy it more over here.  (Get the reference to enjoyment?  in the journey? haha!)  Enjoy friends!


Homemade Cake Brownies
Square or round baking pan, greased (8" or 9")
5/8 c. sugar
1/2 stick (2oz) butter, melted
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 c. flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup brewed coffee (regular or decaf)

Mix everything together thoroughly and pour into prepared pan.  Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool and enjoy!  Careful though, because I just ate an entire pan of these, minus the two that my hubby ate and one that my son did last night...  So good!

I tweaked the recipe for Better Homes and Gardens Cake Brownies quite a bit.  But the original recipe was quite good too, although I didn't ever try nuts or the frosting...because I'm a brownie purest.

No comments:

Post a Comment