Monday, January 9, 2017

Where do you get your motivation?

We are just over a week into the new year.  How are you doing?  Did you make any resolutions?  How are you doing on those?

Something I'm learning, which may I add is kind of ironic...I somehow thought after I finished college that, that would be the end of learning.  And now I learn new things all the time, but it's much more enjoyable than when I was younger.  I was never one who really enjoyed learning.  I mean, I studied, enjoyed school (kind of) and always did pretty well but I never enjoyed learning.  In fact, I couldn't wait to be done with high school. I remember I started counting down from about the 5th grade I hated learning or school (not really sure actually, now that I think of it) so much.  Then at least when I was done with high school I could go to pretty much the college of my choosing, and choose my classes right?!?!  Well, kind of...  I mean, you can choose some of your classes, like electives as long as they fit within these certain perimeters and things....anyway I digress....

I am learning that as long as I have the right motive or motivation behind something I usually have no problem following through with it.  I also have learned that as long as I make small goals, and sometimes multiple goals within one bigger goal, it's much more attainable and encouraging to me.  So that's why I made all of my resolutions (you can see them here) similar and small.

Where do you find or get your motivation for life?  for serving your family?  for work?  for goals?  Is it your kids?  Spouse?  Parents?  Competing with a friend or for to be the best?

I don't know about you, but if I am left to my own devices, or even just my own family as the motivation, I become this selfish machine (which let's face it, happens a lot still) and fall short.  But when my motivation is glorifying God and serving him it becomes easier. (I actually will talk more about that in tomorrow's devotion too.)  When I fix my eyes on Jesus, spend time in His word and finding my motivation in glorifying Him-- being kind to people, loving people and being intentional is more natural.  Almost like we were created to do life that way. ;) (Hint:  Because we were!)


Not that I have this all together.  And note that I do not have "Keep a spotless house" or "Fold and put away clothes promptly" or "Bake goodies and take to neighbors every week" on my resolutions....because....well....while those are good and maybe even important.  I'm not sure I could ever have enough motivation to do those all the time.  I may only have one child but he is a (very darling) tornado of a toddler, and my house almost always looks like Toy'R'us threw up in it.  So, there's that for keeping it real y'all.

My husband came home the other day talking about this book that he had heard about on Stand to Reason and then he said, oh, I guess that's what you already do, Micro-resolutions.  We just ordered a copy (we went with a New Hardback because with shipping it was less than half the price of the paperback and I don't care either way!) and I can't wait for it to get here!  I'm pretty sure I'm going to agree with it 100%, but it also will likely have some helpful tips that I will pass along if you'd find that helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment