Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Weekly Devotion: Working intentionally

These devotions are made with a busy mama (or papa) in mind, so they are quick reads and have space at the end for prayer and reflection.

Week 2:  Working intentionally (You can find Week 1 here)

 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,  since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.  Colossians 3:23-24

When I first started dating my husband I noticed that he had these verses printed and placed in several places he would look at often.  (or so I remember) It struck me because while I had read it before I never really thought much of it.  Not because I’m such a wonderful, hard-working person by nature or anything, just because I hadn’t.  Maybe it’s because I’ve almost always been a Philippians and Hebrews type of gal.

When we have a shift in our perspective from an earthly one to an eternal one, we have many more reasons to do our work well, to show up early, do more meaningful work, to go above and beyond, to love people, to love co-workers, to live differently, to show Christ through our actions. 

Whether our work is inside the home with our babies, or outside the home in the workforce.  Whether you work at a fast-food establishment, corporate job or for the government.  Whether you are just entering the workforce or have been there for years.  When we work as if for God instead of man, we can’t help but do better work.  We automatically have meaning in what we do, even if it’s serving chicken sandwiches, wiping faces, writing code or picking up garbage. 

Dear Lord,
We praise you because you are the only one worthy of praise.  Please help us to change our perspective to a more eternal one, where we work for you not men. We thank you for our jobs and if we are in need of one, we ask you for a job. Thank you.
In Your name,Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment