Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Weekly Devotion: Created with Intention

One of my goals this year is to be more consistent in my quiet times both studying God's word and in prayer.  So what better way to help but by giving myself a goal of making weekly devotions for my followers too?  They are made with a busy mama (or papa) in mind, so they are quick reads and have space at the end for prayer and reflection.  I am going to start on the theme of intention and may move on to something else by the end of the year.  Let me know if you have ideas for these!

Week 1: Created with Intention


For you formed my inward parts;you knitted me together in my mother's womb.I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.Wonderful are your works;my soul knows it very well.My frame was not hidden from you,when I was being made in secret,intricately woven in the depths of the earth.Your eyes saw my unformed substance;in your book were written, every one of them,the days that were formed for me,when as yet there was none of them.Psalm 139:13-16

Those words from Pslams 139 are hanging on the wall in my son's room right above his bed.  I love to read them to him when he wakes up and pray them over him at night.  Those words hold power and truth, and it makes me stand so thankful and in awe of our Creator.

Being intentional isn’t a new concept.  It’s been around since before the beginning of time.  God has always been intentional, in fact, He really isn’t capable of not being intentional, because, well, He’s God!  He’s perfect.  He’s the planner.  He’s omnipotent, omnipresent, and the list goes on of His marvelous attributes. 

What do we mean by intentional?  
Intentionaldone on purpose; deliberate.  Synonyms: deliberate, calculated, conscious, intended, planned, meant, studied, knowing, willful, purposeful, purposive, done on purpose, premeditated, preplanned, preconceived;

We can seek to be more intentional is because we were fearfully and wonderfully made deliberately by the Creator of the Universe.  When we were just a glimmer in our parents’ eyes, God was planning out our lives and paths.  Isn’t that comforting that we were made with intention?  We weren’t an accident or mistake.  We were intentionally created.  We were formed to be exactly who God wanted us to be.  And since we were created in the image of God (Gen. 1:27) we can assume that we were created to be intentional too.  

The question is, what will we do with that?  Let’s pray for ways to be revealed where we can be more intentional in our lives this week.


Dear Lord, 
Thank you for creating us each of us fearfully and wonderfully with intention.  Please reveal ways we can be more intentional in our lives this week with our family, co-workers, neighbors, work and studying your word.  Help us to seek you first.

In your holy name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment