Saturday, December 3, 2016

To my Mother on her birthday

Dear Mom,

Happy Birthday!  I'm so glad that my sisters and I could celebrate with you (a little early) yesterday over lunch.  You mean so much to each of us, and while I can't speak for them, I will speak for myself.

Thank you for always being there for us.  You carried me safe and warm for nine months, and then went through quite the labor to bring this big last baby of yours into the world.  You nurtured me, loved me, cared for me and raised me doing the best any mom could have.  You sang to me, read to me, cuddled with me, tucked me in and brushed my hair.  You taught me right from wrong, and helped to guide me along the way -- always pointing me to Jesus.  Then you gave me responsibilities and trusted me.  All of which I have come to appreciate even more now that I am a mom.

I'm so thankful for who you were, who you are and who you are yet to become.  You've been my best friend, confidant, mother and mom for years.  And now you are also my son's grandmother--Something I really didn't know if I would ever get to see happen when you were diagnosed with cancer four years ago.  But it didn't really surprise me when you pulled thru because you're a fighter, a survivor and my hero.

You've seen me at my best, my worst and my in-between.  You love deeply and care even deeper.  You show each of us Jesus every time we see you by serving others with your genuine heart.  I love you Mom.  I'm confident that you know that, but I also know that I'm sure I don't say it nearly enough.  Thank you.  Thank you for being you, the person God created you to be and my Mom!  You're the best!  I hope you have the best birthday yet!


The card I gave you said it so well: 

For my Mom with Love

When I look back at pictures of you, 
I see a pretty young girl with smiling eyes, 
waiting to discover what her life would be.
I see you as a mom--busy with our family,
the center of a thousand happy memories 
that are such a part of us now.

And on a day like today when I look at you,
do you know what I see?
I see that same special woman, 
a lifetime of love shining through
and I feel so blessed that you're my mom.

Happy Birthday!


Love, 
Your youngest daughter Juli 
(and her hubby and son of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment