Monday, December 19, 2016

Mommy Style Monday: Favorite Christmas Traditions

This week's Mommy Style Monday topic is all about Christmas Traditions, just in time for Christmas!  I don't know about you, but I love Christmas.  I love the sights, the smells, the lights, the bell ringers, the family gatherings, advent and of course, the whole reason for Christmas -- the celebration of the birth of our Savior, Jesus!

Here are a few of our favorite Christmas Traditions with our little family.  This is our 9th Christmas as a married couple, and our 2nd with a little person.
My little man taking a little break from decorating last year. 

  • Decorating for Christmas:  We usually put our Christmas tree up (we use artificial) the day after Thanksgiving, but sometimes it doesn't happen till the first week in December.  We love trimming the tree and looking at all the ornaments that we have gotten together and a few that we have from our childhood.  It's so fun to have a little one to 'help' decorate with us too.  We always put a wreath on our front door and have some other decor throughout the house, like our advent calendar, Nativity and Christmas lights.  Did I mention that we may have the best toddler ever?  I almost didn't put up a tree this year because I thought he would tear it apart, but we put it up and he will walk over and look at it and point to baby Jesus in the Nativity scene ornaments and that's about it.  He's amazing.  And I've been so impressed and thankful!  :)
  • Christmas Music:  Truth be told, my husband and I both kind of listen to Christmas music year round, because why not?  But we listen to basically only Christmas music (with the exception of some kid songs) from Thanksgiving to Christmas.  And I looooove it.  We also sing along most of the time (or I do at least) and also do sing-alongs around the piano (keyboard).
  • Christmas Lights:  Each year we take drives either just to see Christmas lights around town, or we'll take the long way home from being somewhere to see them.  This year it's been fun to show J and see him get excited to see all the lights. (or 'lie' as he says it)
  • Gifts:  No matter of where we'll be for Christmas, we have always set aside a time to open our gifts together beforehand.  Between work, travel and everything else going on, it's traditionally been on the 23rd (although sometimes earlier), and I love our little Christmas together.  Last year it was SO fun watching little J open his gifts and get so excited.  This year is going to be even more fun because he'll understand it a little better!  (This is a great article to help us get away from being torn about gifts around Christmastime!  Let's give boldly and generously!  Whatever that looks like this year!)
  • Advent Devotional:  This is likely one of my favorite traditions ever.  All year long we try to do family devotions together after dinner, but I love doing an Advent Devotional in December in preparation for Christmas.  It's a great way to keep more of the focus of this season on Jesus and learn more about Him and His purpose (to live a perfect life, die on the cross and be raised) to save the world from an eternity away from God.  (A couple of Advent Devotionals we recommend by John Piper:  Good News of Great Joy and the Dawning of Indestructible Joy)

Those are a few of our traditions, and be sure to check out the other Mamas sharing this week at the links below.  If you or someone you know would like to sign up to join Mommy Style Monday next time check out Kiana or Madeline's blogs to sign up!

Kiana at Glitter & Donuts | Madeline at CaseyLand
Erica at Good Job Momma | Cayli at Nightchayde | Britt at My Little Sunshine
Chelsea at Naturally Chels | Sue at Sue's News

6 comments:

  1. I love these ideas! I feel the same way about Christmas music and enjoying the lights. I like the idea of the Advent Devotional! Very cool. We've been doing a similar thing with #LighttheWorld and it's been so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Right? It just helps set the mood!

      Delete
  3. My oldest learned the word "color" from the colored lights I decorated our banister with, but she pronounced it "puh-let." Haha! It was so cute! And I think it's so cute/fun that you gather around the piano to sing together! My husband is not much of a singer, but I definitely make up for his lack of participation!!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love "puh-let"! And I love that you make up for your hubby's lack of participation! Good job mama! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh I love driving around looking at lights!

    ReplyDelete