Monday, November 21, 2016

Mommy Style Monday: Hobbies for Mom


This week's Mommy Style Monday is all about hobbies that we have outside of being a mom.  At first when I saw that theme, I wondered what I'd come up with....and then I remembered that I have a lot of things that I like to do during nap time, or after my little guy goes to bed and most of them are considered hobbies!  I feel like it can be kind of easy to forget who we are, or what we enjoy outside of being a Mom, but it's a great way to put on your oxygen mask, rejuvenate and just relax.  :)

In absolutely no particular order:

1.  Sewing/Crafting:  I enjoy making lots of things from cloth napkins to clothes for my son and myself to cards and scrapbooks.   I'm not the best seamstress but I am getting better every year!  It's so fun to buy fabric and make things from it that are useful, or pretty or both!  I'm also pretty crafty with my trusty Kam Snaps which is SUPER handy with a toddler. :)

2.  Baking:  I love fall and winter because I don't mind using my oven as much as in the warmer months!  And that's awesome because I love to bake breads, cookies and cakes.  Yum.

3.  Writing/Reading:  I enjoy writing both here on my blog and in my journal.  I find it is a great escape, similar to reading.  I used to love creative writing too.  When I was in eighth or ninth grade I took this creative writing class...but then I ended up always writing stories with men with big biceps...and well, the teacher asked me why I was always writing these lovely stories but then the man always had big muscles.... So I've kind of put that part on hold for about 20 years.  Maybe one day I can try that again with less muscles... lol

4.  Calligraphy:  I have dabbled in writing styles for quite a few years but just recently have gotten into this new kind of calligraphy called "hand lettering" and I'm digging it.  (How was that for a run-on sentence? LOL.)

5.  Photography:  I have enjoyed taking photos with my creative spin since I was a young girl.  One of  my first favorites was at a lighthouse where I kneeled down to get the flowers in the foreground with the lighthouse in the back.  I am sure I had seen my mom do that before or something because I likely didn't come up with that on my own.  But that picture, as well as many others, turned out great.  In fact, my Mom even liked it so much that she blew it up, framed it and had it in the dining room for years.  From that moment, I think I was hooked.  Fast forward a few years (or like 25 years) and my hubby and I have a little hobby photography business where we get to take photos of friends and family for posterity.  It's pretty great!

6.  Singing/Music:  It's no secret that I love music and it has always been a big part of my life.  I grew up in a family that valued music and I also have a very talented Mom--who plays piano and sings SOOO beautifully (and well!).  So, when it came time to decide on a college major, my Mom told me to choose something I loved...and that meant only one thing:  Vocal Music.  I may sing more kid songs than anything else these days, but I love it all and helping instill the love of music in my son is about the best thing ever.

7.  Walking/Anything Outdoors:  My husband and I have always liked walking together.  It's onen of the many things we like to do to enjoy the great outdoors.  Hiking, biking and camping are a few other things I enjoy outside.  Although, I have sprained my ankle very badly twice in a row (Sept. 30 and then Oct. 29th, ugh!) so I haven't been able to walk(or hike, etc...) much due to Dr's and PT's orders.  So needless to say, I'm so excited for when I get the okay to up my walking again!

Be sure to check out the other Moms participating below!  If you'd like to sign up for the next Mommy Style Monday go to Kiana or Madeline's blogs!
Kiana at Glitter & Donuts | Madeline at CaseyLand
Sue at Sue's News | Britt at My Little Sunshine | Chelsea at Tessa Marie | Monica at It's All About

6 comments:

  1. All of these are such great hobbies! And many of them are hobbies I'm trying to develop for myself as well. I would love to try out some hand lettering, and I'm hoping to get going on my sewing machine soon! Your "biceps" writing made me lol ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, it made my hubby laugh too...apparently I hadn't ever told him that. You should totally try out hand lettering--it's so fun! I recommend this Tombow Dual Brush pens. They make it easy, pretty and my hubs who is great at traditional calligraphy even approves! And you should totally sew if you get a chance too, such a de-stressor (is that a word? I don't think it is...) for me.

      Delete
  2. We have very similar hobbies! I started learning calligraphy over the summer. It is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! And isn't it great! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I love your hobbies! I love singing as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! We have a lot of similarities! I didn't major in music (music theory is SCAAAAAA-RY), but I love to sing! And sewing is my JAM! So happy to meet you!

    -Sue
    susanstange.com

    ReplyDelete