Thursday, October 27, 2016

Would you still follow?

As I sat down to write this evening, I came across these words below that I had written but never published a while back.  (8/1/11 to be exact)  What I find interesting is that now, 5 years later I am also in a different place in my life and definitely have come to understand what these questions mean.  So the question is, would you?


A few years ago I heard a sermon entitled "Would you still follow?".  I was in a different place in my life then, and it didn't really strike me until now what it all really means.  Not that I know what it all really means...but what I remember from it...I {somewhat} get  now.  :)


The Preacher started out by asking questions like these....


Would you still follow Jesus if, your dreams didn't come true?
Would you still follow Jesus if, you could never have children?
Would you still follow Jesus if it meant a life with no retirement and only hard work?


And went on to back things up with scripture.  He talked about how the Christian life isn't always going to be easy, but rather we need to take up our cross and follow Him. (Matt. 16:24-25)


The answer is yes.  I will follow.  No matter what life may bring.  I have hope because of Christ, and I am a new creation.  So, I will trust Him, seek Him and also ask for the desires of my heart.  (For Psalm 37:4 says, "Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.")  But I also have to realize that my desires and dreams may not be in His will for my life.   


I was talking with J about this and this is what he said:


"When you are doing what God designed you to do, it brings Him glory."


Simple and true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment