Monday, October 3, 2016

Even if the healing doesn't come . . .

As I was getting ready this morning, this Kutless song "Even if" came on, and it really caught my attention.  It wasn't my first time hearing it, but it is very relevant to my life and this topic. . . Let’s start more at the beginning though.

I don't know what's going on in your life friend.  I wish I could sit down with you and chat over a cup of coffee, and pray with you.  But since I’m here and you’re reading this….let’s just imagine this is a virtual coffee shop….

·         Maybe your spouse just decided to leave you after 15 years of marriage.
·         Maybe you lost your job.  
·         Maybe you moved across the country for something that didn't really work out the way you thought it would.  
·         Maybe you found out that you have cancer.  
·         Maybe you are trying fertility treatments again after multiple failures just praying that this one will end with a baby instead of a heartache.  
·         Maybe you're a widow long before you ever should have been.  
·         Maybe you just placed your child for adoption.  
·         Maybe no matter how much you or your spouse work, there is never enough money for bills and putting food on the table.  
·         Maybe you are living with a chronic illness and it is difficult to even get out of bed each morning, let alone get anything done on your never ending to-do list.

Please know that God knows what's going on friend.  He is God.  He is good.  He is forever faithful and in control.  He also sees you, and knows you.  He hears your prayers.    And, if you are going through any of that, which I know some of you at least are, I’m so sorry.  I hope this gives you a little hope at least.

If we have faith in God only when things are going great, what good is that to us or Him?  True faith will sustain us during times of struggle and draw us closer to God, His word and His people.  Easier said than done, though right?

So, what is this true faith I am speaking of?  “Faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.” (Heb 11:1)  We have faith in God and His son Jesus Christ.  “For God so loved the world that he gave His only son, so that whoever believes in Him shall no perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16) We know while Jesus was still fully God, He came to earth to be born of a virgin, He lived a sinless life as fully God and fully human.  Then He bore the weight of the sins of the world on the cross, died and rose from the dead three days later.  He ascended into Heaven and is now seated at the right hand of God the Father.  God sent His son into the world as His Plan A for redemption.  Jesus’ atonement of our sins on the cross gave us a way to be reunited with God and to have relationship with him.

My challenge for us is to: Praise God even if/when the healing doesn’t come!  I don’t know about you, but I find it so easy to praise God when things are going well and I “Get what I want”.  But the truth is, we should praise him no matter the circumstances.  He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.  He will work together all things for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)  Even if we don’t see it now, or even in our lifetime.  We can cling to what we know to be true about God and have joy and He will build in us perseverance so we can mature and complete not lacking anything. (James 1:2-4)

 "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:4-9
Those verses from Philippians above are what I call my “life verses”.  I’m not really sure when I glommed onto them, I think it was a particularly tough year in college and they have been with me ever since.  I tend to be a “worst case scenario” or realist (aka, type of pessimist trying to justify that it all really could happen…) type of gal and these have gotten me through some pretty tough times. 

So, I challenge us to praise God even if/when the healing doesn’t come.

·         Even if he doesn’t come back.
·         Even if you have to settle for a different job.
·         Even if it takes longer to find work than you thought.  
·         Even if the healing doesn’t come.
·         Even if you never become a mom of a child who is still on this earth.  
·         Even if you miss him.
·         Even if you’re alone.
·         Even if you continue to struggle with finances.
·         Even if the healing never comes.

He is still God and good and faithful, regardless of our circumstances.  Plus, we never know His plan ahead of time and how He might be using something for His kingdom.  So let’s hold onto God and think about what we know is true about Him:  Goodness, Faithful, Powerful, Our Savior, Prince of Peace, King of Kings, Almighty, Lord of Lords, Right, Pure, Author and Perfecter of our faith, ………

One last thought, as I published this post I remembered one of my favorite songs "Blessings" by Laura Story. What if my greatest disappointments or the aching of this life, Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy, What if trials of this life, The rain, the storms, the hardest nights, Are your mercies in disguise?  Just some more food for thought...

I also shared my heart on this matter in a more personal post here.

Comment or email me at JJJourney08@gmail.com on how I can be praying for you.  And if you are in the NoCo area, let’s actually grab a real cup of joe together!  Send me a message or email too. J

In case you aren't familiar with this song, here's the lyrics and there’s also a video below:

Sometimes all we have to hold on to
Is what we know is true of who You are
So when the heartache hits like a hurricane
That could never change who You are
And we trust in who You are


Even if the healing doesn’t come
And life falls apart
And dreams are still undone
You are God You are good
Forever faithful One
Even if the healing
Even if the healing doesn’t come


Lord we know Your ways are not our ways
So we set our faith in who You are
Even though You reign high above us
You tenderly love us
We know Your heart
And we rest in who You are


You’re still the Great and Mighty One
We trust You always
You’re working all things for our good
We’ll sing your praise



And the video:



and here is another applicable song too:


No comments:

Post a Comment