Friday, August 19, 2016

My Favorite Age: A Letter to My Son

Dear son, my sunshine, the light of my life,

Yesterday you turned 17 months old.  In some ways you seem much older, perhaps it is because you are very tall for your age and just have the sweetest disposition, or maybe it is because you are our first child, but then in other ways I just can't believe you are that old already!  I mean, didn't we just bring you home?!?  Oh?  That was well over a year ago?  Ok...  

I've decided that this may very well be my favorite age and stage.  Although I keep thinking that and then the next one just gets better!  But right now you are so much more independent than just a few months ago when you turned one.  You can walk, climb, eat and do stairs (both up and down) all by yourself.  You can also do about a million other things by yourself now and it's so bittersweet.

So that's why I am writing you this letter.  I want to remember, and I want you to remember this time and how sweet the moments shared were.

Some of my favorite things about this age (in no particular order) with notes, prayers and scriptures.

- You love your mama and dada, and the rest of our family.  You are such a sweetheart!  You hug and kiss us often, and it shows that you love us.  You also blow kisses to just about everyone you see.  May you never lose your sweet, kind heart.

           Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.  Eph. 4:2

-You are saying more words and we have multiple conversations a day about everything from toys, to weather, to food, to what we are going to do.  You are super interactive and expressive in convos now.  Love it!  As you learn and grow, be quick to listen and slow to speak.

           Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.  Col. 4:6

-You still love to be worn and also love to cuddle.  As you probably know, I am a big Baby/Toddler wearing advocate and I'm so thankful you still enjoy it!

           Your middle name means:  "attached" in Hebrew.  Which is what we prayed we would all become, before we met you.

-You are still such a great eater, and you feed yourself very well.  (Read:  Not too messy and usually eats everything we give him--veggies and all!)  Be healthy and eat well, but remember where to find sustaining nourishment.

           Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"  Matt. 4:4

-You were such a great crawler, that you may have gotten a little late start walking but wow!  Now you can walk well and even do some running.  You love to push the toy vacuum around and pick up toys.

           Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.  1 Cor. 9:24-27

-You continue to play so well alone but you are also getting the hang of playing with others.  These are both very valuable life skills.

            If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.  Rom. 12:18

-You love to sit down on the couch or in your rocking chair and "read" and, of course, be read to!  Also a very important life skill.  May you never lose a love of reading.

           Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.  Psalm 119:105

-My little music baby!  You still love music and dancing to it!  You are starting to sing along now too, and you are just so sweet at it!  Music is an important tool in life too.

           Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth, burst into jubilant song with music.  Psalm 98:4


-You are so sweet and patient, which makes you a great shopper still.  Which I might add, is super helpful for errands and grocery shopping!  Also very important life skills.

           But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.  Gal. 5:22-23

I feel like this list could keep going on...so I may stop there for now.

And then sometimes you still fall asleep in your car seat on the way home from errands and I get some snuggles on the way to transfer you into your bed.  Love this stage.  This stage right here, right now that you are in is so, so sweet.  You are still little but so big at the same time.  I'm going to try my best to soak it up while I can.


Let's be honest though, I've loved every single stage, even through the ups and downs and they all have ups and downs.  We are so thankful for you little J, and your birth mother and for her choosing life.  We are so thankful for you, our son, the one who made us parents.  So thankful that we get to love and nurture you, and watch you grow every day.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  Psalm 139:13


I think the real reason I love all these stages, especially when you are so little is because you are exactly who God made you to be.  You are just you.  You don't have any pressures from the world trying to manipulate you into being one way or another.  You don't have anyone encouraging you to disobey (not that you don't on your own sometimes anyway though!).  You are just the sweet, darling boy God made you to be.  And you are so busy learning things and growing that sometimes when I take a step back and realize that this is my favorite stage because, well, you're my favorite.  I just love being with you.  I'm so happy I get to be home with you.  You know, if you read this post from like 5+ years ago I talked about my dream job...and I'm living it right now! :)

God has a special plan for you little man.  We may not know what exactly that is yet, but He does and with His help and all the others who will help us raise you, we will find out just what it is in the perfect timing.  And as excited as I am to see the man you will grow into, and just how you may change the world, I am also excited to watch you grow and sit here snuggling with you, reading a book and breathing in your sweet baby smell for as long as I can.

Love,
Mama

2 comments:

  1. I sure do love and miss you sweet friend. This post is so beautiful. I so wish I could be around this precious angel of yours. Every age has been my favorite too and you said it awesomely: It's because the boys are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! I sure do miss and love you too! Sorry for the late reply to your sweet note! I wish you could be around J too, and I'd love to see those sweet boys of yours!! :)

    ReplyDelete