Monday, July 11, 2016

More Reflections

If you want to catch the first part click here: Reflections.

As a part of our education requirement before we adopted, (as part of our home study) we read books and blogs about adoption, and specifically trans-racial adoption.  We gleaned a lot of things from those hours of reading (I got a new favorite book from this time:  I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla) and this past week I looked back on a couple of articles in specific.

Cute little black boys do grow up to be Black Men

and

Cute little black boys do grow up to be Black Men, Part II: And now, they are 10


With everything going on in our world and nation, it's hard to not get a little depressed. These two articles speak a lot of truth about what we are to expect in the coming years with our son.  Not that it is right.  Not that it is fair.  Not that I'm blaming anyone in specific but more like how far our country really hasn't come in the last fifty years.  But those articles miss touching on the very most important part of this whole issue though, and because of that they are kind of hopeless.

My husband and I have been reading a book titled "Under our Skin" which was written by Benjamin Watson of the New Orleans Saints.  In his book he talks about the thing that those articles above missed.  And although I haven't quite finished the book yet I just have to insert a little excerpt below to show you what I mean....

"I'M ENCOURAGED because ultimately the problem is not a SKIN problem, it is a SIN problem.  SIN is the reason we rebel against authority.  SIN is the reason we abuse our authority.  SIN is the reason we are racist, prejudiced, and lie to cover our own sin.  SIN is the reason we riot, loot, and burn.  BUT I'M ENCOURAGED because God has provided a solution for sin through his son, Jesus, and with it, a transformed heart and mind.  One that's capable of looking past the outward and seeing what's truly important in every human being.  The cure for the Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice and Eric Gardener tragedies is not education or exposure.  It's the gospel.  So, finally, I'M ENCOURAGED because the gospel gives mankind hope." Benjamin Watson, Under Our Skin

He nails it right on the head.  Mr. Watson not only states what the problem actually is, but how to solve it.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a spot-on diagnosis! I was also thinking this weekend that everyone just wants to be heard, but so few are willing to listen. That's one of my goals too, to be a better listener and really hear people, even if I disagree with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true Monica! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete