Wednesday, September 21, 2011

It was an accident

I don't know if you all heard (I know my Mom and Dad know because they were visiting me when it happened) but I was in an accident on Monday evening.  I could go on to explain what happened but it really doesn't matter much how or what happened.  Because at the end of the day, it just doesn't matter.

I rear-ended a car (and obviously didn't mean to) and even though it was at super low speed it did a little bit of damage to the other car and quite a bit to mine.  I'm fine and so was the other person involved. (Thankfully!) We called the Police about it and no one was issued a citation--which was a blessing.

But I got the estimate of damage to my car, and it'll be at least $1300 to repair it...and....it could be more because once they open the hood they'll know more...  Anyway, I just feel so stupid and like such an awful driver now. It's just embarrassing. You know what I mean?  I obey the laws.  I always wear my seatbelt.  I am alert and attentive when driving.  I am a defensive driver.  I do my best not to speed, although sometimes I do go 5 over the speed limit.  I do my best to be the best driver I can be.  And, well, I failed.  I just wish that I could go back and change that mere second that it took to cause all that damage.  I mean, who wants to ride around in a vehicle with someone who just rear-ended someone else?  I don't even want to...but I don't have a choice because it's me. :(

I just wish I could wish it all away.  But alas, this is real life not a storybook and I have to deal with the consequences of my actions.  And no matter how "good" or careful of a driver I usually am...accidents happen.  And I caused one.  I should just be more thankful for the fact that I didn't injure anyone or hurt myself.  And I should also be thankful for the fact that my husband and I have pretty great insurance and will only have to pay a small deductible for all those repair bills for my car.

Although, I was informed but the insurance estimator that {pretty much guarenteed} my rates will go up because of the cost of the repairs (for both vehiciles) and because it was an "at fault" accident even though I didn't get a ticket......  So I suppose I will be paying for it for the rest of my life really...

I just need to make sure I take this experience and have it make me a better driver.

I'm so glad that I don't have to worry about measuring up for eternity.  Because obviously I would fail every time.  I can't even have a perfect driving record, let alone a perfect life.  Jesus did it all, for it is all to Him I owe.  For sin had left a crimson stain, and He washed it white as snow...

1 comment:

  1. Don't be so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes and do stupid things. I'm just glad it wasn't a serious accident - and that you are OK!!!

    ReplyDelete