Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labor Day Weekend 2010

Well, we had quite a fantastic Labor day weekend. I do have to admit that I hoped we would, so I wouldn't think about the place that I spent every summer holiday since I was born, that I won't be able to visit much--if at all--while we are in NC instead of CO.

So, just what did we do this weekend? We went to: a football game, some beautiful gardens, a great lake and did some shopping. :) I'll post some pics from this weekend, and talk some more about what a great time we had. It was SO great to be able to spend a couple of entire days relaxing and having fun with my hubs.

Here's a pic from the football game between Duke and Elon. Duke won 41-27! It was a great game!

A beautiful tiger swallow tail butterfly (that's what I think it is) at the Sarah P. Duke Gardens. I got some really great pics of this one, because it was posing for me. So cute. :)

Anyway, these gardens are beautiful! Around 55 acres of land set aside for gardens on the Duke campus in Durham, NC. It's divided into 4 different sections of gardens with themes, and it's trails are great to walk through. It's like getting lost in a beautiful garden in the middle of a city.

Water lily at part of the Duke Gardens too. I really love the reflection.

Blue heron at the gardens. Pretty sweet eh?

I think these look like turkey ducks, and I googled around to find this about them. They are actually Muscovy Ducks. So ugly they are cute? or not? Random huh?

We had a picnic at Falls Lake State Recreation Area on Monday. The weather was perfect and we spent over 8 hours hiking, swimming, playing frisbee and picnicking! :) It was great! Don't you just love my sweet picnic basket too?? I finally got a real one! I had wanted a traditional wood picnic basket for years, and my mom found one and gave it to us for our 2 year Anniversary!! Cute huh? There's just something about the traditional ones that make me smile. :)

Falls lake is only about a half hour from where we live, and that makes us happy! It's only $6 to get in, and since we spent over 8 hours there, it was less than a dollar an hour for entertainment! That's cheap! :) Plus, we even found ourselves drawing comparisons while hiking to trails we'd been on in Colorado. So that definitely says something! We'll be back, for sure. :)

A view of Falls lake and part of one of the many swim beaches! We visited two of the 4 or 5 beaches they had. This was the first one we went to, and it was really quite busy. Then we went to the other one around 1:30pm and found it was significantly less populated, which was a nice surprise. :)

An adorable caterpillar we saw on one of our hikes yesterday. Isn't he just SOOOO cute?!?!?!?! I'm not going to lie. I wanted to pick him up and take him with us....but I refrained. :)

Anyway, we really did have a great weekend relaxing, playing, swimming, hiking and just hanging out this weekend. I'm so thankful for my sweet hubby and the time I get to spend with him.

I hope you all had a great weekend too! :)

2 comments: