Saturday, August 14, 2010

We're not in Colorado anymore...


So, as soon as we found out we were going to move to North Carolina, it seemed like everyone had something to say about it. Some were SO happy for us and our new adventure. Some were sad about us leaving. Some warned about the heat and humidity. Some told us about the cool things there were to see...and some said things about the bugs.

Now, just so you all have some background on us and where we are coming from. We were both born and raised in Colorado. But my husband has some family in Tennessee, so his family used to take trips to visit them. As for me, I have a sister who has lived in Kentucky for five years. I got to help my parents move her and her hubby out there 5 years ago and also have been to Tennessee, Virginia and North Carolina (etc....) in addition to visiting my sis in KY. So my hubby and I were quite familiar with the climate in this region of the country before we moved here anyway. But people's info was still appreciated, just sometimes already previsouly known.... Anyway moving on...

Just as expected it's hot and humid here. In fact, according to the locals at least, this is the hottest summer on record! So wow! That's hot! The upside is that everything, I mean EVERYTHING has Air Conditioning here though. So it's really not so bad. Most days have been right around 98-100 degrees in actual temperature but with the humidity the heat index has been around 110 degrees. In other words, it's so hot and humid you sweat a lot when you're outside even just for a couple moments. Thankfully it's a cooler weekend though. It was only around 82 today and we had a nice time at the pool. :)

Ok, back to the bugs part. For the most part they don't seem to be all that different than back in Colorado. There are loud ones at night in the trees around our apartment, but I'm actually beginning to feel at home with their music. The mosquitoes are black here and possibly a little smaller than in Colorado. But there are a couple of things you really don't ever see in Colorado here. Well, I guess I should rephrase that, I had never seen either of these bugs in Colorado before.

1. Gigantor Dragon Fly (I've seen similar ones in other parts of the country but this one just kept hanging around so I had to take a pic.)

2. House Centipede. Creepy I know. But kind of cool too. I don't think we've seen one of these in our apartment, or else I would be COMPLETELY freaked out. But we've seen them outside a few times and I guess they are pretty common here. They actually feed on spiders and cockroaches, so they are a good things to have around! (Just as long as I don't find one in here...they are still welcome outside though!)
Ok....now that I have posted this I have the creepy crawlies...so I think this maybe my last post of the evening. I will write more tomorrow, and it won't be nearly as creepy. I promise. :)

2 comments:

  1. Glad to read your new blog entries! Excited to hear about all your new adventures!!

    ReplyDelete